Monday, June 4, 2007

Today's thoughts!

Quite frankly, today kicked my butt. Molly said to me that her butt is fine, but I don't believe her. We started in Winston-Salem, and rode 65 miles to Taylorsville. North Carolina is a long state! Just a few more days into the mountains, and we'll hit Tennessee. If you've ever heard the Lee Greenwood song "Pround to be an American," you'll note the line that says "from the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee..." Point is, we've got some miles before we hit flat ground again. So, I better get used to it.

Our host site today is wonderful--they had balloon arches waiting to welcome us in, so naturally, Molly and I took a few prom-esque photos, which I'll post when I update the pictures onto my computer. I'm looking forward to relaxing a bit tonight, and preparing for yet another day.

The rides are like clockwork--undoubtedly, the first 20 miles fly by. Then, you hit the middle road, which is the most frustrating part, because the beginning is gone, and the end is not yet in sight--but that last third of the ride is anxious, energetic, and rewarding. The miles tick away, and I realize that I've ridden my bike almost 500 miles already, which is far longer than I rode in training, and I've still got thousands to go. Bring it on.

Right now, we're using pay-to-play wireless at a McDonalds, so I apologize, but I'm cutting this one short. Micky-D's isn't the greatest place for chill, Internet time.

Shout outs to Jen Barry's mother, who welcomed us in--can't wait for a good motherly hug!

Cheers everyone,
Eric

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Friends! It's great to hear that you're making stellar progress with your trip! Keep up the good work. I've enjoyed following your travels so far and am always anxious for a new entry.

Take care!
Rachel

bmo said...

Awesome! just awesome.

Enjoy the randomness and smiles along the way.