Friday, June 29, 2007

OOOOOOOOOOOOOK-LAHOMA! Where the blah blah blah...


Well, here we are! Our fifth state, Oklahoma. Our rides have been great so far--nice rolling hills, great scenery (Northeast OK is know as 'Green Country'), and some incredible hospitality when we get home for the night (home is what I now call our next destination, but each place is, of course, nothing to my real home).

Our first town in Oklahoma was called Grove, and sat about 10 miles from the Missouri Border. We stayed at a Methodist church, and were fed by the congregation, attended a youth worship service, and chatted with a great lady named Melanie. Melanie had some incredibble stories to share. For example, she married her husband of 23 years only three weeks and 4 days after they met. Wow. She has lived or visited 6 of 7 continents (her two sons have, as well). She has, from what I understand, spent 6 of the last 12 months living in Australia. And she still manages to find time for a job. She's a great host, as was the entire community in Grove--we can't thank them enough.

After Grove, we had an 80 mile ride into Bartlesville, where we currently are. We're at another church, and the folks here (Thanks Ms. Georgia!) have prepared wonderful meals and showed wonderful hospitality. Also, they put us up for two days, and we had a nice day off today. Molly and I both made it the the YMCA and refreshed ourselves--the pool, hottub, steamroom, and sauna cleared us right up. We needed it, too--Kim had a 23rd birrthday last night, and a local joint called Vern's Tavern did us right--shuffleboard, pool, and a great jukebox full of classic tunes. Also, we drank beer. Which Molly and I like to do from time to time.

Tomorrow, we head off to Ponca City, our first of 8 straight ride days. This stretch sill put us into Colorado, and a day off in Co. Springs, where my wonderful sister will join us! I must admit, I'm a bit nervous about this part of the trip--a lot of miles lay ahead, including our first planned century into Lamar. I have no doubt, though, that we'll make it through and ride on pat the Rockies.

Hope all is well with everyone, and we'll get some pictures up as soon as we can. Molly and I spent about an hour uploading stuff, but when we tried to publish them onto the blog, POOF! they were gone. I got frustrated, decided to write a ittle diddy and make the 9:30 curfew. My apologies again. I'm a failure at this blog stuff. The one at the top should keep you pumped for more. And prove that we are actually in OK, and about halfway done with this thing. I can't wait to get that California air in my (thinning) hair.


Best, Cheers, and Love,
Eric

No comments: