Sunday, July 1, 2007

OK in Oklahoma!

I've noticed a few interesting things about this trip--first of all, the United States is BIG and HILLY. Per the BIG, we've gone nearly 1800 miles, and we're just halfway there in mileage. Per the HILLY, we had two flat days in the coastal plains of Carolina, and what I would call one flat day today in Oklahoma; other than that, there are elevation changes galore. Would you believe that tomorrow, from OK to Kansas, we will gain 900 feet of elevation? I sure wouldn't. But, that's the land, and that's what we're doing--biking over it. Anyone who ever thought this trip would be a breeze is wrong.

The second thing I've noticed is how darn hospitable these folks across the country are--especially now, here in OK when we need a good feeding and rest before the Rockies. Molly and I said over dinner that it may have been the best meal yet (and we have had some incredible meals--Swan Quarter, Belhaven, Chapel Hill, Bartlesville, Grove, and the list goes on--also, I still say that the BEST thing I've eaten is fried Catfish on day one in Swan Quarter). Green Bean Caserole, Corn Bread Caserole and muffins, great BBQ, salads, and cake for dessert...woah. Good stuff. And, it's been this way all through OK--truly a refreshing place to be for us. Though, my weight loss of ten pounds is on the fence because of these meals. Oh well--I wasn't small when I left, why would I want to be upon my return? Life is good.

It's difficult to see and hear about the damage being caused by the flooding here right now--19 days of rain in a row, just before the wheat harvest...the Pastor here in Cherokee said that until 2 weeks ago, the wheat harvest was looking to be the best ever--now, the crops are nearly destroyed...we rode past houses that were flooded today, and the fields beside these homes looked like lakes, not wheat fields. We complain about the rain as riders because we're cold and wet--but it's not doing nearly as much damage to us as it has to the farmers in this state...something to think about as we ride on tomorrow into Kansas, our sixth state on the trip.

Our rides for the next six days should be tougher than usual--tomorrow is nearly 90 miles, and we should have two centuries after that--one into Lamar, CO, and one into our rest stop at Colorado Springs. After that day, we begin the rough part of our Rockies passage. We're not certain, but Molly and I talked with a woman who thinks we'll be taking the Monarch Pass, which connects Ouray to Durango, and happens to be the highest pass in the Rocky Mountains. So, we already made this highest pass in the Appalachians, and now the rockies? Again, I'll say that if anyone here thought this would be easy, they were wrong.

I must say, though, that Molly and I are more than up for the challenge. I can't speak for her, but I'm suprised how well my body has held up so far, and I'm amazed that, although it has tested me greatly, I've had the patience to ride so much. The bike is something I'm slowly getting used to, and it feel better and easier each day to ride. So that's good, right?

Quick note about Andrew Martin, our fallen biker--he's not too sure yet as to what he is going to do--he wants to ride, and all of us want him back. The doctors need to give him the ok though--if nothing else, we'd love to see him with the van, or on the beach in San Diego.

That should do it for now--sorry for the quick post, but it's bedtime, and like I said, 90 miles tomorrow. Goodnight, and take good care everyone.

Eric
The group is doing well--our systems of operation are smoothing out quite a bit

1 comment:

jeremy said...

i see you baby,
bikin' that pass
bikin' that pass
bikin' that pass

i see you baby,
bikin' that pass
bikin' that pass
bikin' that pass