Thursday, July 5, 2007

Welcome to COLORFUL COLORADO!



It feels more real than ever today, this whole biking across the country thing...I think the reason might be that we're now in Colorado (a mountainy state, and I know that mountainy isn't a word, but that's what everyone says that Colorado is), and although Eastern CO is flat as a board, just like the rest of the Great Plains, it FEELS west. We'll be here for 10 days, climbing the Rockies, taking a day off in Colorado Springs (when Andrew will rejoin us, we'll celebrate two riders' birthdays, AND get visits from my little sister and some of Molly's very best friends), and doing a little construction in Durango. It should be a challenging, but rewarding and exciting leg of the trip.

Today was a great ride--101 miles from Garden City, Kansas to Lamar, Colorado. Molly and I both felt really strong today, and swore we could have ridden 30 miles more (though, now that I'm rested a bit and showered up, you couldn't get me back on a bike today). Tonight, we'll enjoy carpeting and all the fixings (dinner AND breakfast) at the United Methodist Church of Lamar. Also, we have an extra hour today, because we crossed into the Mountain Time Zone, so although we were in the saddle for about 5 hours (which is a really good pace), we got here sooner than expected. Nice.

It's hard to believe that this trip is six weeks over tomorrow. Time passes so fast, it's almost alarming. Even though today was a century day, and we rode a long time and a long way, after it was over, I kind of looked around and thought to myself, "done already?" I think that as I ride into San Diego, I'm going to feel like things just got started...I still remember faces and names from our first hosts. Maryville, TN doesn't seem that long ago. And, we practically rocketed through Oklahoma and Kansas. I look at a map and really can't grasp what we've done so far. There's only three more states to ride through (six, if you count all four corners), and in only three weeks, San Diego. Crazy. I'm just starting to like biking, too.

I'll keep this short today, because I'm also responsible for our group journal tonight, but I can say this: I've had ups and downs throughout the trip, and even wondered if I'd be glad it was over when it's over--but, no matter how many emotions I've had, good or bad, I will be telling and celebrating this story and experience for a long time. Thanks to anyone reading for sharing in it with me. More to come, and pictures soon--I promise.

Have a cold one for Molly and I--or three or ten. I miss Madison bars most of all. Just kidding.

Take good care, all.
E

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Eric and everyone,
It's so fun to read all the blogs and see how much everyone has changed in such a short time. You all are pushing yourselves to the limit and seem to be getting stronger as you go. It's pretty amazing to look at the map and see how far you've come! Have fun in Colorado, it's sooooo beautiful! Have fun celebrating with Vandy on his 23rd - wish we could be there with him but I'm sure he'll have a fine old time with his riding buddies - especially with a day off the next day!
Take care and thanks for the update,

Kathy & Bob Vanderpool

Pat Barge said...

Happy 25th Birthday, Eric!!

I'm sure you are having a wonderful pre-birthday weekend cycling into AZ -- What an incredible set of experiences you have had getting to this point!!!! I've enjoyed keeping up with your adventures through the blogs and pics, and have vicariously enjoyed the ride!! (I'd have been dead after the first day ;-0 )

In this world so filled with superficiality, self-gratification, and self-absorption, you've become the epitome of an inspiration to one and all to not waste a single opportunity to give selflessly to others. What most people don't understand is that when you give to others, you give to yourself.

I'm proud to know you and thrilled to virtually share this special summer with you. You have truly inspired me to eliminate a lot of wasted time and energy, and to give more purposefully of myself, my heart, and my spirit to worthwhile pursuits, just as you exemplify!

Enjoy the beauty God created in these last couple of biking weeks. May many blessings flow back to you.

Regards to Molly and all. . .

Happy birthday once again on Tuesday,

Pat